All Australian Governments have put in place restrictions on indoor gatherings as part of ongoing moves to respond to the potential threat posed by coronavirus (COVID-19), including limits on non-essential public gatherings.
From midday today, Monday 23 March 2020, the following measures take effect:
- Closure of all licensed casinos, hotels, bars and clubs (other than for the provision of takeaway food and beverages, including takeaway alcohol where currently permitted)
- Closure of all gyms and indoor sporting venues, cinemas and entertainment venues.
- Closure of all restaurants and cafés (other than for the provision of takeaway food and beverages).
- Closure of all places of worship and venues hosting weddings and other functions.
- Funerals must be reduced to only have 1 person per 4 square metres.
All of these restrictions apply to outdoor spaces associated with the above venues.
All gaming machines will be turned off centrally at 12pm on Monday 23 March 2020.
CBS, SA Police and SA Health are working with industry bodies to ensure that all venues understand these restrictions and the steps that can be taken to ensure venues comply with these directions.
We appreciate this adds to the challenges already facing the sector as a result of the coronavirus but these initiatives are an important health response.
At this stage, it is unclear how long these restrictions will be in force, however we expect that the measures will be reviewed in one month. SA Health and CBS will be updating our advice as soon as new information comes to hand.
In the meantime, the Commonwealth has released a food safety advice for businesses for those that will remain with takeaway and delivery options that may be of assistance as you begin to manage any changes that need to be put in place to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
You may also call the National Coronavirus Help Line on 1800 020 080 which operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Please email liquorlicensingreform [at] sa.gov.au if you would like to be contacted to discuss options for changes to your operating model with your licence number and a summary of what is proposed and we will contact you to discuss options.